Sunday 1 May 2011

Different Dialect in Malaysia


I just realized how hard it is to describe a situation in Bahasa Malaysia
I don't know why but I took too many word to describe simple scene
and I cannot make it sound catchy.

For example:

He is wearing a leaf green,eye catching T-shirt with a Brown tweet jacket and he match it with a yellow jeans
( I don't know who will wear this outfit but stay with me guys)
translation:
Dia pakai baju T-shirt hijau daun yang sangat menyerlah bersama jaket tweet dan pakai seluar jean bewarna kuning

see my point?
Please do send your suggestion on how I could improve it
It would really help me write my novel

But when used properly by an expert,it can be very beautiful
For example,in the puisi or pantun
or in the P ramlee's movie and song,it is nice


Senangnya dalam hati
Kalau beristeri dua
Terasa dunia ini
Ana yang punya

Kepada isteri tua
Ana sayang padanya
Kepada isteri muda
I say i love you

Isteri tua merajuk
Balik kerumah isteri muda
Kalau dua-dua merajuk
Ana kahwin tiga

Mesti pandai pembohong
Mesti pandai temberang
Tetapi jangan sampai
Hai pecah tembelang

(Madu Tiga-P Ramlee)

I often claim that Bahasa Melayu baku is not fun or funny
but when i think back,that statement can't be true. 
See the British.they use pure English but it is fun.See Top Gear as a prove.

In Malaysia,we have many dialect

We have Penang's (awat hang buat lagu tu)
we have KL's ( napa awak buat camtu)
we have Ganu's ( napa mu wak gitu)
We have Klate's (napa demo wat gitu)
and now we have the sms's (awt awk wt gtu)
and many more (the rojaks,sarawaks)

This remind me of a story when I was in matrikulasi:

The first time I enter my room,I know that something is alarmingly wrong.
there in their bed,two of my senior glaring at me with a look equal to an eagle glaring at a mice.One of them was really big and the other one is thin but look as if he's over 20. The thin guy get up and shook my hand. He then said 'mu ada pele?' I'm confused.I don't know the meaning of the word and i assume it is kepala so i said yes. He then ask, 'mana pele mu?' anxious and nervous,I quickly point at my head.
Then the two senior burst out laughing. I later learn from my friend that 'pele' is a kelantan's word for the male part. HAHA.
(I warned you when you enter that this blog has an adult content and you click 'I UNDERSTAND AND I WISH TO CONTINUE ')
That was a culture shock for me. The first month in matrikulasi,I barely understand what my senior are saying but after sometime,i could understand them-mostly the swear word.

Oh ya,if any of you guys wondering, senior in matrikulasi is the PDTs (program dua tahun)
So they are basically a year older than us
By the way,my point is we have a wonderful culture here in Malaysia.
The wide range of dialect is something to be studied.
Maybe,later in Bahasa Malaysia. We could spare some part in the corriculum to teach different dialect
 Maybe not in the writing part, but for the oral part, we could show different dialect to the student.
That way,students will not have culture shock.Further more, it shows our appreciation to the dialect.and it sure will attract the attention of the students. I always feel proud whenever someone ask me about my birthplace dialect,Penang.

 To conclude, go Bahasa Malaysia go!!

Posted By


2 comments:

Unknown said...

your Terengganu is too formal, those who uses words like that are usually Pahang people.... we don't say it like that. it's "wak de orh?"

Unknown said...

we dont say 'napa wat gitu' in kelantan. instead, we said 'bakpo wat gitu'