Saturday 14 May 2011

I was a kerepek seller! (best job eva)

What do you do after SPM?
For me. I work as a kerepek & asam seller!
(and work at PTG-Pejabat Tanah & Galian)
I love it.











(gambar cuma hiasan)
 I am a shy person. And heavy mouth ( berat mulut )
So I rarely speak unless I have to
It's not that I don't like it.But speaking is hard for me. (harder than writing)

So when I work there , it became a big dilemma to me.
How can I attract customers if I don't speak confidently?

On the first few day, I maintain silent. Spoke only when asked to.
But then, something happen in between the next few days.
I began promoting, calling out customers, and to my amazement,I tell jokes!

This is the kind of situation when a mouse is cornered by cats.
At the moment, the mouse can do extraordinary thing that it can't normally do.
Like charging toward the cat and bite the cat's feet. You never know.
We call it Strive under Pressure.

It reminds me of the story of "beras,telur dan kopi"
(If you already heard the story,just skip this part k)


Take 3 pot of hot water. Put the ingredient (beras,telur,kopi) inside its respective pot. After some time in hot water,we can see that:


1. The rice turned from hard to soft.
2. The egg turned hard from soft
3. The coffee remain the same, and it manage to change the water to coffee water.


Rice,Egg and Coffee represent 3 type of people. Hot water is the challenges and difficulties in life.
Some people, look tough but when they face trouble consistently, they turn soft. Some, look weak but thrive under pressure. The last type, look tough and even under pressure,and they manage to turn the bad situation ( hot water ) into a good situation ( Coffee water )
(Thank you for whoever created this story)


I guess I'm the number 2.Okay back to the story. Suddenly, I have my confidence. I called out for customers and they came to the store and buy stuff. It is fun.


I was placed at USM kampus induk.If any of you are from there, my stall was infront of koperasi .Then I moved to KOMTAR.It is at tingkat 3 - still existing. It's name is Al-Naimi. If you want to buy kerepek or asam, he's your guy. Cheap and tasty .I even got the chance to open a store at Cameron Highland. But, I receive offer to work at PTG. So I quit this job after 2 weeks of working. The pay was little but the experience I got is priceless.


I learned the value of money. It make me appreciate the hardship that my parent had to endure to raise me and to provide all the necessity of a teenage boy ( motorcycle,top-up money,cc money,magazine money and so on). I'm proud to say, from that day on, I no longer depend on my parents money. ( except occasionally when I really don't have any money). Luckily, I get JPA sponsorship,so I can stand on my own feet now.


I also saw different type of human behavior.Some, like to do the " tasting,then ask silly question then continue eating then left without buying". I am surprised because that man can do it without any trace of shame in his face. Some people,like to bargain.It is good but to certain extend.

"dik ni kira macam mana ni?"
"100gram 2 ringgit"
"tak boleh murah lagi  ke?"
"hmm..tak tahulah kak"
"ala,murah sikit ja tak kan tak boleh?"
"Camni lah kak, saya taruk 105gram,kak bayar 2 ringgit gak.ok?"
"ha..macam tu lah"
*packing the stuff*
"nah kak,semua dua ringgit"
"ala dik.murah skit lagi la.singgit dah la"

Grrr..

I observe the way my boss do business. He is a honest man. I still remember his golden quote. " Bagi lebih takpa. Jangan bagi kurang " What he mean is, when you want to sell 100g of kerepek. It is okay to put a bit extra like 105g. I asked him why? He said " Pelanggan penting. Dengan ekstra 5g, kita boleh make sure dia datang lagi ke kedai kita. Yang tu lagi bagus dari kita dapat keuntungan dengan kurangkan barang kita. Dah lah rezeki haram,pelanggan pun lari". He inspire me. And the way his face always smile. No matter what happen ( Even when he is angry).


I like being an entrepreneur. Even when I was a child, my mother would buy small keychain in bulk quantities, and give it to me so that I could sell it to my friend. ( She said I get to keep the money I get from the sale) .In my teenage, I sell Pokemon Card. I didn't play pokemon card game but I like to buy booster pack and hope I get a Rare or Rare Hollow card. Then I can sell it to my friend at high price. It's good business.=p
But the truth is I lack of some qualities to became a great businessman.The soft skill required is quite high. But I don't know. Maybe if my rezeki is in that area, I would be more willing to try it.

P.s: Sorry H&L. Tak cukup maklumat lagi lah nak post pasal page source. =p
       Picture taken from here.

Posted By,

2 comments:

Hate&Love said...

weih. sama la. aku pun heavy mouth gak. tp jumpa org sekepala,aku naik kepala la. hingar dowh.

Unknown said...

huhu.sadly jarang dapat jumpa yang sekepala..kan?